Katra

In article > ,
Dog3 > wrote:

> Katra > wrote in
> :
>
> > In article > ,
> > Dog3 > wrote:
> >
> >> "Maverick" > wrote in
> >> :

> >> Visiting my mother was always a pain, especially when we had 3 dogs.
> >> Mother made them hamburgers, pancakes etc. The 2 Scotties were
> >> diabetic (2 insulin shots daily). I kept telling her not to feed them
> >> but she did anyway. All of my pets are on strict diets and get no
> >> table food. Well, the Mutt (Missy) discovered how to beg from my
> >> mother and brought the bad habit home with her. The Scotties died
> >> several years ago about 8 months apart. We now have the begging Missy
> >> and the greedy cat, Hoot.
> >>
> >> Michael

> > I buy pre-cooked/smoked marrow bones (knobby joint ends) for my
> > dogs... They chew them down until they get all the smoked marrow out.
> > ;-)
> >

> Are the marrow bones really okay for dogs? I am sure Missy would appreciate
> a late night snack other than rawhide chews from the veterinarian.
>
> Michael

I actually rarely buy rawhide for my dogs.
There can be a choking risk with it. Not common, but it does happen!

The pre-smoked marrow joints I get for my dogs are sold for dogs at pet
stores, feed stores, and even Wal-mart in the pet section!

My border collie also loves squeekie toys, (in fact, I heard her
molesting the new one I bought the other night a little bit ago, right
outside my bedroom window! <lol>) as well as rubber Kong's stuffed with
p-nut butter or cheese.

I've also bought them dried piggy noses and ears, as well as the calf
hooves.

When I adopted Jewely (the border collie) from the shelter, I discovered
the first couple of days that she had an unacceptable chewing habit! She
was about 9 months old. I really prefer adopting older dogs as I really
don't have time for puppies.

I called the shelter (aka dog pound) that I had adopted her from and
asked for advice. They recommended Kong's, and jewels loved both cheese
and p-nut butter, (turns out the shelties did too!) and the kong turned
her on to dog toys so that helped solve the innapropriate chewing
problem. I'm really sold on that toy! They appear to be expensive at
first, but they really are not as they are nearly indestructable so last
forever!

Kat

--
K.

Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

As we go through life thinking heavy thoughts, thought particles
tend to get caught between the ears causing truth decay- so be sure
to use mental floss twice a day. -- Swami Beyondanada