Sheldon

Dog3 wrote:
> wrote in
> ups.com:
>

> > So I always make my beef soup with these generic "soup bones" from
> > Safeways (the assumption here is that they are beef, they sure look
> > like it).
> >
> > They were out, so I went to Albertson's and couldn't find "soup

bones"
> > and picked up these "beef marrow bones" instead.
> >
> > They *kinda* look alike
> >
> > am I on the right track here, or am I setting myself up for an

unknown
> > taste sensation that may be nasty?

> The biggest difference between the two (that I have been able to see)

is
> the soup bone has more meat on it.

"Soup Bone" is simply a generic term for any bone regardless how much
meat is present... even fowl bones are "Soup Bones", and fowl bones are
hollow and contain no marrow. Marrow bones are the long bones of
mammals, typically the leg bones.... usually sawn into 2" sections so
the marrow can be more easily extracted. If you're not going to eat
the marrow then there is no point in paying for marrow bones. Marrow
bones are typically roasted, the marrow extracted and eaten, often
spread on bread. Marrow bones are not typically used for stock, but
can be if one deigns to extravagance. With some recipes, like braised
shanks, the marrow is considered the choicest part... sending the eaten
dish back with the marrow still intact tells the chef that culinarilly
you're a clod.