Chuck Bollinger

Default meat grinders

meatgrinder wrote:
> I have a meat grinder/sausage stuffer. The cheap kind that you clamp to
> a counter top and turn the crank to get your ground meat. I tried using
> it for the first time and did not assemble it correctly. Now the meat is
> very so ground up it looks like mush. I want to make meatballs out of
> this. Do you think it will be OK for meat balls? I used a round steak.
>
> Also, is a top round roast a good meat to make ground beef? It is on
> sale now and am considering getting one if OK to grind. Otherwise, I
> would not know what to do with a top round roast.
> What are other meats good for making ground beef?
>
> Thank you,
> Meat Grinder today. Italian cook tomorrow !

I posted here a couple of years ago looking for additional plates for our
Kitchenaid. A reply was posted by Hartmut Kunze, a certified master chef, who
said that the plate size of the Kitchenaid was a #5 or #8, and that made it a
toy (he doesn't mince words). I replied that it was what I could afford, and he
countered with a web page to Allied Kenko, where I purchased, for $36, the
manual Porkert grinder (have you ever seen a better name for a grinder?) that
I've been using since. I make sausages and the difference in the resulting
product is obvious, as is the process: When grinding, I can hear the pings of
the knife going past each hole.

Hartmut said that if I didn't have large plates and sharp knifes, I'd produce
mush sooner or later. Looks like you had that problem. I had, too, but hadn't
recognized it. I've been using my Kitchenaid as an example of a small grinder.
But if your plate is more than 2.5 inches in diameter, it might be a #10 or
#12, just dull. I'd keep that grinder and just get a new knife and plate(s).
Here's a plate site: http://www.cmcchef.com/GrinderSpecs.htm to tell you about
plates, and below is where to get them. Hartmut's site is brimming with great
info and instructions, as well.

http://www.cmcchef.com/

http://www.alliedkenco.com/grinder.htm

I hope this has been of some help.