Ken Vale

Dick Adams wrote:
> Ken Vale > wrote:
>
>>Dick Adams wrote:

>>>I'm looking for a yeast that will completely die between 10%
>>>and 12% abv. I would prefer it to be agressive rather than
>>>slow - so it ferments quickly and dies from alcoholism..
>>>
>>>Any suggestions?

>>It is easier to control the sugar than it is to control the
>>yeast, if there is only enough sugar to reach 10% abv no
>>yeast in the world can ferment it past that point.

> I always appreciate common sense answers. My problem is that
> when I let a Maple Syrup Wine/Mead ferment out, it acquires a
> fuesal taste. So I'd like it to ferment out leaving an SG of
> around 1.02. The solution so far has been crushed Campden
> tablets per gallon. They aren't that easy to crush.
>
> Dick

Okay I'm betting (but only because I'm in no way certain) that the
fuesal taste has to do the yeast you are using and how it ferments the
remaining sugars. Likely the remaining sugars are much harder to ferment
and thus produce the fuesal taste, a different yeast may result in a
different taste. I know someone who fermented out some maple syrup with
EC-1118 and had no fuesal tastes. I can understand how annoying the
campden tablets would be to crush, have you considered a pill crusher
(which should be available from your local drugstore) or buying powdered
metabisulphate (though this requires an accurate scale capable of
measuring in grams).
Ken