Art Schubert

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 04:27:02 -0000, (Dick Adams)
wrote:

>I'm looking for a yeast that will completely die between 10%
>and 12% abv. I would prefer it to be agressive rather than
>slow - so it ferments quickly and dies from alcoholism..
>
>Any suggestions?
>
>Dick

I like Ray's posting in response to my similar question a while ago.
Here is his comment:

"Alcohol tolerance for a yeast is an average, not a tolerance. In
general the yeast will quit at about a given point. But there could
be (likely to be) yeast in the batch that have a higher tolerance than
the average. There could even be some that quit at about the
tolerance and then wake up hungry later. There are millions or even
billions of yeast in a ferment and some of them will be radicals.
Also, yeast are not very bright. They don't always understand how
they are supposed to behave. You could even get a whole generation
that are lazy and quit early. Use the tolerance as a guide but not as
a target. ;o)"

Art Schubert
Traverse City, Michigan