Dick Adams

In message =20
"Kenneth" said to "HUTCHNDI"

> You are not being a pest at all ...

Kenneth, you jump to conclusions. Have you considered all of the
evidence?

> [ ... ]

> All that said, the tiles will not do anything magical: The issue is=20
> mass, and the tiles you describe are just not very heavy.

That goes for all tiles. Bricks and kiln shelves may be better.
=20
> ... breads made in huge massive ovens usually have better=20
> crust and color than can be done with the standard home gear.

Well, if they don't always, I guess there's still some hope for us
kitchen-range-oven, amateur bakers.
=20
> When we built our new home about four years ago, we put in a
> Bongard deck oven. It weighs on the order of 1400 pounds
> and, as a result, doesn't seem to "notice" when I put in
> four 2 pound boules.

Kenneth, why don't you post some photos in web space
somewhere so we can see what we are missing by not having
1400-LB ovens?

> If you feel that the structure of you oven can take it, you
> might consider something heavier than the tiles (or, by the
> way, more tiles simply stacked.)

I don't see why rocks could not be used. One poster suggested
that, years back.

--
DickA

P.S. I make pretty good loaves without any tiles, slabs, rocks,
Bongards, or "steam" either, for that matter. But that's just my
opinion, I should admit. Also without fancy baskets and
french-named implements ...