ellen wickberg

in article r5zPd.58725$jn.50647@lakeread06, HUTCHNDI at
wrote on 12/2/05 6:37 PM:

> I know, I am being a pest.
>
> I just picked up some unglazed quarry tiles at Lowes. 8"x8"x1/2"....Does
> anybody have any experience using them or a link that may be helpful? I am
> wondering things like do I need a space for air circulation between the
> walls, do I bake directly on them or use parchment, do they need to be
> seasoned, can I leave them in place all the time, ....
>
> Thanks, Hutchndi

I used to use them before I got a piece of kiln shelf. You do need to leave
a bit of space for circulation. I bake directly on the tiles, using cormeal
on the peel which means cornmeal gets on the tiles. No seasoning needed. If
you leave them in place all of the time ( which I tend to do, but use a
smaller oven for most things), you need to remember that you are using fuel
to heat them up as well as what ever you are cooking.
Ellen