Emery Davis

On 12 Feb 2005 23:55:04 GMT, Santiago > said:

] Emery Davis > wrote in
] : =20
] >=20
] > Well, delurk you Iberians. Actually I'm interested in reading
] > notes about wines I don't know that much about. Spain would be near
] > the top of that list. What's more internet retailers are now starting
] > to offer some bottles from Spain -- even here in France -- that look
] > quite interesting. So keep the notes coming, you can teach the rest
] > of us ignorent types something.=20
]=20
]=20
] Emery,
]=20
] I will be honest and say that I lack the ability of tracking all the wine=
s=20
] that I taste or drink (I am more a drinker than a taster). Also, I am not=
=20
] very good in describing wines. I would love to have the ability of Bill=20
] Spohn or Dale Williams whose notes I read with delight.
]=20

I think you're with most of us on that. I don't really track everything ei=
ther,
and only post a note when it seems something is noteworthy.

Bill and Dale obviously are a) obsessed and b) have too much time
on their hands to write it all up. I enjoy the copious notes too.

] However, if anyone wants some information about any Spanish wine, and I c=
an=20
] be of any help, I am willing to offer some information, as I have done in=
=20
] the past.=20
]=20

I'll remember that your lurking about then.

] From your previous message, should I guess that you are located in Anjou?=
=20

No, but thanks to our marvy new autoroutes I'm only about an hour
away. I'm up north in calvados country. Although there are some
folks growing gamay not far from here, the closest "real" wines are
from jasnieres.

] Last year we had a terrific time visiting Pascal Laffourcade at Domaine d=
e=20
] la Echarderie, Mark Angeli at Domaine de la Sansonniere and Patrick=20
] Baudoin. Lovely wines, charming people, a lot of love for their work.
]=20
] Which other vignerons do you recommend for a possible next visit?
]=20

I know Baudoin is one of Mike T's favorites, and is making some lovely
wines. Probably a top reference in the entire area. I like Jean-Pierre Ch=
en=E9
at Dom Ambinos for the SGN CdL, also some very quaffable and affordable
light Anjou red, if you like the style. Dom Roullet makes a fine CdL and a=
lso
some very nice cremant. Ogereau has en excellent CdL as well as a very fine
dryer chenin. Of course there is Nicolas Joly...

On the subject of biodynamics in another thread, of course Joly is a
sort of ambassador for the movement. Is Baudoin biodynamic, does
anyone know?

Ian called it "neo-steinerite" or words to that effect, but wouldn't
"classico-steinerite" be more appropriate? :\

-E
--=20
Emery Davis
You can reply to