Lew Bryson

"dgs" > wrote in message
> Bruce wrote:
>
>> Just caught a travel show about Colonial Williamsburg. They mentioned
>> that everything recreated there is true to the period including the
>> tavern. Does this mean they are serving the types of ale available in
>> the colonies at the time of Revolution and dispensed correctly for the
>> time?

> No, they don't go quite that far. I think the closest you'll come to
> something like that are the Yards ales brewed for a colonial-style
> restaurant in downtown Philadelphia, but that's obviously not anywhere
> near Williamsburg.
>
>> Does anyone know? Might be an interesting beer trip if the ale
>> and method of dispensing are recreated.

> They aren't. The best you can do for beer in Williamsburg is to
> walk to a more commercial part of town and park your arse at the
> Green Leaf, where a pretty good selection of microbrews are on offer,
> but they're all keg - none of them are cask-conditioned.

If you do want to do the Colonial Williamsburg thing and drink good beer,
you can get in at Chowning's Tavern ("Choo-nings") where they have
Williamsburg Brewing's ColoniAle, which is, surprisingly, a saison-style
beer, pretty good stuff. Keep an eye out for Williamsburg Brewing and Old
Dominion taps; I've had them at the King's Arms, also.

--
Lew Bryson

www.LewBryson.com
Author of "New York Breweries" and "Pennsylvania Breweries," 2nd ed., both
available at <www.amazon.com>
The Hotmail address on this post is for newsgroups only: I don't check it,
or respond to it. Spam away.