Santiago

"Christian Lehmann" > wrote in
om:

> Hello,
>
> which 2002 red french wine would you recommend to store until at least
> 2018? I would buy this one for my daughter, born in 2002, for her to
> taste when she reaches drinking age (16 here in Germany). I have a
> special favor for Southern Rhone (because of many wonderful vacations
> we spent there), but this vintage was supposedly quite bad in this
> area. Would a Bordeaux or Burgundy be a better choice? I appreciate
> any opinion, thanks in advance!
>
> Christian

Hi Christian,

I suppose that if it has to be red (why no Sauternes, instead?), Burgundy
is the answer, since it is supposed to be a great vintage. However, if it
was me, I would go for a Chateau Margaux 2002 which seemed to me to have
plenty of fruit to allow for such a garde. Or, if money is a concern, I
think that Leoville Barton 2002 could do the same work since I found it
very concentrated and hermetic last year at the Chateau and it has a good
track of longevity (in fact, it is said to be one of the longest lived GCC
still done in a very traditional way, that's to say, not making it softer
for earlier consumption).

Best,

Santiago