Cam

J.P. wrote:
> Cam:
>
> Have you drilled additional holes for ventilation in the charcoal

base of
> your ECB?

I didn't need to. I've got the older model that had a 1 1/2 inch hole
in the middle of the fire pan. It drops hot coals onto the driveway
while I cook. I've got a brick that I can slide back and forth under
the hole to choke airflow when needed.

> The only mod I've made to my ECB consists of a rack that I "borrowed"

from a
> weber grill that happens to fit into my ECB's fire bowl/charcoal

base. This
> provides about 3 inches of clearing from the bottom of the charcoal

base and
> allows for the ashes to accumulate w/o detrimental affect (usually)

to the
> fire. However, I still struggle to maintain proper temp and feel

that I'm
> not getting the type of burn times I should for the amount of lump I

use.
> This is especially true if there is any wind, which, unfortunately,

is
> usually the case in my neck of the woods.

Apart from poorly designed airflow in the firebox the ECB also lacks in
materials and fit. The thin walls and poor fit between sections bleed
heat and smoke in windy conditions.

> Ultimately, the reason I ask is because I've really taken to smoking

and
> have enough money to buy a WSM. Maybe I should try some of these

other mods
> (drill ventilation holes, add legs?) before I scrap the ECB.

I keep my ECB at my parents farm. Twice a year I'll do up some ribs and
a butt or maybe smoke some herring. If it's windy I make a lean-to
shelter for it. The ECB can produce just as good results as any smoker
in the right conditions and with enough fussing.

I bought a WSM last year and love it. It is so much easier to use. The
materials, design, fit and finish are all superior to the ECB. I wish
I'd bought it sooner.

Cam