Edwin Pawlowski

> wrote in message
oups.com...
>I live in upstate NY. No good BBQ joints anywhere.
>
> 1. Can someone provide gotchas related to opening a small BBQ joint?(I
> don't want to open a franchise related place).

Sure, not enough people in the area to support one. Probably less than 1%
know what real bbq is. We had a mediocre one in my town, population 10,000
and surrounding towns of another 15,000 and it barely made it for a couple
of years. Finally closed in December.

> 2. Where is the best place in USA to order a wood smoker?

Sitting at your desk in your office.

> 3. Why don't famous places like Arthur Bryant's expand in the East?
> Should be a no-brainer in theory.

Sure, not enough people in the area to support one. Probably less than 1%
know what real bbq is.

> 4. How much should a decent pit master make?(I want to recruit one from
> the West).

I'd do it for you for 100k, but it would have to be up front or in an escrow
account. Too many restaurants fold after a few months.

Truth is, I rarely ate at the bbq place in town, or any other others in the
east. Why? Because none make the food as good as I can at home. If it
does not meet my standards, I'm not buying it. Here in New England to worst
of places make a decent chowder and I often order it when out. . Very few
bbq places make it big because people just don't care about it. The care
about chowder and fish 'n' chips.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/