Cam

Graeme...in London wrote:

> Brad, if you are planning cooking a butt, I would strongly recommend

either
> one or both of these suggestions.
>
> 1) Get yourself a grate to ensure some ash can fall away from the

burning
> coals. With an ECB on long cooks using lump, you will get a build-up

of ash
> and this will cause the temperature to drop and the coals will not

produce
> the desired heat. (nae probs with a 3 1/2 hour chicken, butts are a
> different animal)
>
> 2) Drill a few extra holes in the charcoal pan. (This makes a big

difference
> with air flow.)
>
> Cook to 190 - 195F internal and you'll be fine.
>
> Post some pics on abf.
>
> Graeme

I have an old ECB and I'll second those recommendations. As soon as I
bought a $2 pastry cooling rack and bashed it into shape to fit in the
bottom of the fire bowl my ECB became much easier to control. Improving
and controlling airflow is the secret to getting long consistent burns
in your cooker.

Cam