Eric Jorgensen

On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 23:20:34 GMT
"Vox Humana" > wrote:

> "Raj V" > wrote in message
> > DerSpence wrote:
> > > I'm sensing a bit of arrogance in this group, its like people are
> > > using this group as a means of establishing their own preference as
> > > some sort of law of baked goods.

> > SNIP
> > Aw, it isn't that bad. If you want to see fanaticism try rec.food.
> > sourdough. Some of those people might challenge you to a duel then fly
> > to your house if you disagree with their methods. Never, ever, mention
> > sourdough AND yeast together in the same sentence, paragraph, or topic.
> >
> > From the several bread books I've read, I don't get the sense making
> > bread is an exact science. "Hold out a cup of flour in case" . . . .
> > "Add more water if . . . "

> I think it is a pretty exact science, but not in the context of the home
> kitchen. You don't have the ability to evaluate all the parameters of
> the ingredients. If you have any doubt, read some of Roy's posts!

What threw me was the concept of time.

Easiest thing in the world to let your loaves proof for a very long
time.

If you think about it, it's actually less time than making it in one
sitting. Instead of waiting around for an hour while you speed-proof, you
just throw 'em in the fridge and go do something else for, oh, a day.

Then when you get around to it, remove 'em from the fridge, preheat the
oven, and throw 'em in.

For extra credit, make cinnamon rolls tonight, refrigerate the pan, and
bake them in the morning.