Raj V

DerSpence wrote:
> I'm sensing a bit of arrogance in this group, its like people are using
> this group as a means of establishing their own preference as some sort
> of law of baked goods.

SNIP
Aw, it isn't that bad. If you want to see fanaticism try rec.food.
sourdough. Some of those people might challenge you to a duel then fly to
your house if you disagree with their methods. Never, ever, mention
sourdough AND yeast together in the same sentence, paragraph, or topic.

From the several bread books I've read, I don't get the sense making bread
is an exact science. "Hold out a cup of flour in case" . . . . "Add more
water if . . . " Measuring to a gram or single digit percentage point seems
superfluous with those instructions, so I agree any "law of baking" is
probably going too far, though some do try. My mom made bread all her life
and never measured anything or went by a recipe that I know of and the bread
was invariably wonderful, much better than anything bought in the store or
bakery. My credo is try my best, enjoy doing it, and learn from each
experience. If I throw in something like flax meal or steel cut oatmeal when
it isn't called for in the recipe, the results are at least interesting, and
usually edible. I am having fun.

Raj V