Jack Campin - bogus address

Default Bush's chef sacked

Posted by Earl Evleth to rec.travel.europe,
message-ID

-- begin quote --
The last line says it all. The Bushes have a limited food imagination.
It is what I imagined.

Earl

*****

"While it is an honour to serve the first family," he said, "it is
the same thing, night in and night out, over an extended period. And
it's time for me to be exploring all of my creative abilities and not
limiting myself."

AFTER cooking for two US presidents over 11 years, White House chef
Walter Scheib has been fired, he told The New York Times today, adding
that his ouster followed the appointment of a new social secretary to
serve the first family. "We've been trying to find a way to satisfy
the first lady's stylistic requirements," Scheib, 50, told the paper
in a telephone interview, "and it has been difficult. Basically I was
not successful in my attempt."

Scheib, who was hired 11 years ago by then first lady Hillary Clinton,
said he was asked to resign on Thursday, a few weeks after White House
social secretary Cathy Fenton was succeeded by Lea Berman, the wife of
a wealthy contributor to the Republican Party.

The change, he said, did not bode well from the start.

"Clearly with the new social secretary, there is a new set of eyes and
a new vision.... She is a very hands-on social secretary, very involved
with all aspects of food, flowers and decor. She clearly has a mandate,"
he said.

Scheib will stay on his job until at least the end of the month, the
newspaper said, adding that a search was under way for a new White
House chef.

While miffed at having been fired - "I hate to lose, because I am
super-competitive," Scheib said he was not worried about the future
and looked forward to a change in life.

"While it is an honour to serve the first family," he said, "it is
the same thing, night in and night out, over an extended period. And
it's time for me to be exploring all of my creative abilities and not
limiting myself."
-- end quote --

<http://www.purr.demon.co.uk/jack/> for CD-ROMs and free | fax 0870 0554 975