Steve Calvin

carbuff wrote:

> I concur with this. I have a Whirlpool model #GLP84900 (self-cleaning,
> non-convection, expandable elements, glass top). It takes 5 minutes to heat
> the oven to 350F. That's faster than any exposed-element range I've ever
> owned by a huge margin. That, in fact, is the feature I like best about
> this range. (The next is how the oven light goes on automatically when you
> open the door). )

I have a GE (one year old) that isn't a hidden element model. Heats to
350dF in about the same time. As for the light going on when the door's
opened... don't they all do that?!?

>>I would recommend avoiding the white-on-white top as it is a bitch to keep
>>clean.

Mine's white with a black glass top. Piece of cake to keep clean. Much
easier than the gas POS (also a new GE) that I ripped out!

> Interesting that you say this. While I was appliance-shopping (last July),
> I sought the advice of the only friend I know with a convection range. He
> advised against, as in his experience, the food dried out with convection
> cooking. So now, he only uses convection to preheat the oven, and then
> bakes without the fan. YMMV

My main oven is not a convection but my secondary oven can be a
convection if I choose to use it. I think that your friend just didn't
take the time to learn the dos and don'ts of using the convection. Once
you figure them out they are really a great feature, but it does take
some patience and you don't cook exactly the same as in a normal oven.

> The only drawback I've found so far with this range is that the radiant
> elements are slower to heat up than the old-fashioned exposed coils, and at
> max setting, the heat seems a tad less intense than a red-hot coil. OTOH, I
> have yet to burn anything to the bottom of a pan, which I used to do
> frequently on my GE.

Now that shocks me. My radiant elements are hot, *now*. Not as fast as
gas but not too danged far behind either! I'm talking seriously hot
seriously fast. Now, cooling down is a totally different issue. Only way
to stop the heat transfer immediately it to slide the pot/pan to a
different area of the cooktop but that's trivial.

--
Steve

Every job is a self-portrait of the person who did it.
Autograph your work with excellence.