Alex Rast

at Sat, 05 Feb 2005 21:45:59 GMT in >,
lid wrote :

>I'm not sure why I'm double rising my bread before baking.
>I probably followed somebody's instruction somewhere.
>
>I've seen bread produced in a large scale bakery, with a
>single rise...
>
>So, can some one offer some commentary on the reasons for
>single or double rising ?
>
>Single rise == swifter production time, therefore less cost?
>Longer rise ... better quality ? If so, why ?

Longer rise tends to deliver better taste, I suspect because the
fermentation products that deliver the taste distribute more evenly
throughout and because metabolic processes in the yeast are different with
a slower metabolic rate, resulting in different proportions of metabolic
products. If you use less yeast in order to slow the process down, there
may also be additional effects because there's less local competition for
resources and each yeast colony grows more or less independently.

It also delivers generally a more uniform texture with better grain because
the slower rise means more even release of gases.

Double or even triple rising improves the texture in several ways. It
allows the gluten to stretch not one but multiple times, increasing its
resiliency. It also gets rid of large, nonuniform gas bubbles, allowing for
an even crumb. It also gives more expansion capacity for oven spring
(because once you've punched the dough down, you recompress the gluten
strands, giving them room to grow without breaking).

Bakeries that single-rise are probably doing it as you suspect to save
money, and this may not be simply a matter of time saved but also of
complexity and machinery in additional process steps. You can make
perfectly acceptable bread at home single-rising, but, not facing the clear
cost questions that really only come into play at large volumes, there's no
reason not to double- or triple-rise unless for some reason you're time-
constrained in a way that you can't work around.

at Sun, 06 Feb 2005 00:03:54 GMT in <scna01he9vlcsdfjq489uetc7el65rvnq3@
4ax.com>,
(Kenneth) wrote :

>I am always intrigued by the many posts from people who are
>delighted to discover that they can make bread more quickly
>by proofing it "in the oven with the light on." Few seem to
>be posting with delight when they discover that they can let
>their bread rise more slowly in the basement producing far
>better tastes and textures...

It does seem curious. The net effect is that people searching the newsgroup
as to how to bake *quality* bread can be easily misled and will probably
end up taking longer than they otherwise might have had to to learn - when
they'll be forced to learn most of the crucial principles on their own from
the ground up by experimentation. All the rationalisations I can think of
as to why this pattern in the types of post might exist are prejudicial. I
wonder why this posting pattern seems to prevail?

--
Alex Rast