Vox Humana

"Dave Tuchlinsky" > wrote in message
.. .
> We are looking to purchase an electric range and the model we selected
> has a "Hidden Bake Element" (the bake element is hidden under to floor
> of the oven). A salesman warned us that they take 20 minutes longer to
> preheat the oven. Does anyone have experience with a hidden element?
> Does it increase preheating time? Effect cooking?

Maybe 20 minutes, but not 20 minutes longer! I haven't noticed any
difference between my mother's KA oven with a hidden bake element versus my
JennAir with an exposed element. I think there are so many variables that
it would be difficult to compare two ovens. There are differences in size,
insulation, and power. Some ovens activate all the elements in pre-heat
mode and others don't. My small, true convention oven with a hidden element
takes about 6 minutes to pre-heat to 350 while my large JennAir oven takes
about 15 minutes. What matters is the actual pre-heating time for the oven
you decide to buy. If you can find a showroom with a working oven, you
could time it yourself. I would think the manufacturer could also supply
that data.

I like the hidden element because it is easier to keep the oven clean and if
you should desire, you could put a baking stone on the oven floor (or a pan
with water for steam).

What ovens are your looking at?