Eric Jorgensen

Default Raw tasting bread

On 22 Oct 2003 19:46:04 -0700
(Daniel) wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I was hoping someone might be able to give me a few hints. I have
> just recently begun trying my hand at making bread and I am not having
> very good results. Actually, the finished bread looks great it just
> doesn't taste good. The end result tastes like raw flower. It doesnt
> have that good mild yesty baked flavor that I want. So far I have
> just been baking French breads and have been using pre-ferments as my
> book suggests. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

A longer rise time - say, in the fridge overnight - will develop a
better flavor.

You might try varying the salt or sugar content slightly.

Since you say french bread, I assume you might mean water breads (with
no oil), but you might try using a different vegetable oil if oil is
called for. the soybean oil that ends up in most bottles marked
'vegetable' doesn't taste like much.

Since you say 'mild yeasty' I'm not sure if what you think of as good
tasting bread is the same as what most people like. A slower rise is
preferred because it tastes less yeasty. The flavor is better in a few
other ways i can't quite articulate because I'm not a food scientist.
It's worth a try, at least.