Dee Randall

"Eric Jorgensen" > wrote in message
news:20050206133326.25986933@wafer...
> On Sun, 6 Feb 2005 14:50:47 -0500
> "Dee Randall" <deedoveyatshenteldotnet> wrote:
>

>> > Isn't it the food that the yeast "eats" that gets used up, not the
>> > yeast itself? Maybe that's what you meant.
>> >
>> > But it is an interesting question. How much rising is enough, not
>> > enough, or too much? And how can I tell where it is?
>> >

>> You are right, my question is as you put it -- when does the
>> food/flour/dough get used up by those yeasties (because there is only so
>> much flour you can add to a formed dough ball.)

> IT doesn't.
>
> Eventually, the dough sours, and theoretically, the yeast may die.

Looking thru my notes: I don't want to quote verbatim what someone told me
about the timing of this yeast 'going sour and dying,' so I will paraphrase:

<beginning of paraphrase>That my bread had been overproofed because the
yeast activity had ceased and that after about 2 hours, my yeast is dead and
releasing foul gasses. <end of paraphrase>

So basically my interpretation of the paraphrase agrees with what you are
saying?
Thanks so much.
Dee