Janet Bostwick

"Kenneth" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 5 Feb 2005 18:20:48 -0700, "Janet Bostwick"
> > wrote:
>
>>the crumb texture will be coarser(not just more open-celled)

> Hi Janet,
>
> You lost me here...
>
> What is the difference between "coarser" and "open-celled"
> when describing the crumb?
>
> Thanks,
>
> --
> Kenneth

I knew when I typed that, I was going to have to explain myself. This is my
observation and going by feel. If I were to say to you that one cotton
shirt felt more coarse than another, I think you would understand that. To
me, when I touch the crumb and run the pads of my fingers over the slice to
feel the crumb--the crumb lacks the 'silky' feel of a bread dough that has
been allowed lots of time to develop and be baked right. It seems to me,
that these breads that are in a hurry to get done in the total fermentation
and oven spring just don't put the cell structure together the same way and
stretch as smoothly. The dough is too exuberant with all that extra yeast
needed to produce a fast rising bread. Gosh, that all sounds like I need
the funny farm. . . and anything else I write to explain myself sounds
worse.
Janet