Janet Bostwick

> wrote in message
> I'm not sure why I'm double rising my bread before baking.
> I probably followed somebody's instruction somewhere.
>
> I've seen bread produced in a large scale bakery, with a
> single rise : snip
> Perplexed.
>
> Thanks

Large-scale, commercially-produced bread is especially formulated to work
with a single rise and go from the flour bin to the wrapper in under an
hour. You can produce bread at home with a single rise if you wish.
However, the crumb texture will be coarser(not just more open-celled) and
the bread will taste more strongly of yeast and yeast by-products. It's up
to you. If time is an issue, investigate the process of retarding the
formed loaves in the refrigerator. You can make your dough, rise in the
bowl, shape the loaves and put them in the refrigerator until the next day
to bake off. This method gives improved flavor over even the straight
2-rise and bake method. If you want really fast bread, you can make batter
or sometimes called casserole breads. They are yeast bread that can be
ready in a little over an hour. Slower production of the finished loaf
allows the baker to achieve a loaf that tastes more of the grain plus subtle
other baking flavors.
Janet