Kenneth > wrote:

>>Single rise == swifter production time, therefore less cost?
>>Longer rise ... better quality ? If so, why ?

[..]
> But, your comment above confuses two (unrelated) issues:
>
> There is no inherent reason that a two rise process must
> take longer. The speed of the rise (whether one or two) can
> be controlled with temperature.

At the moment, I am rising at room temperature near the oven.
I can't raise the temperature any higher without actually
putting the dough in the oven, so in effect, I can't speed
up the process of rising. Therefore double rising makes my
breadmaking longer than a single rise, since after knocking
back the dough, I'm waiting for the second rise.

If I've misunderstood you, then please hammer me over the head
with a baking tin and explain what I'm missing :-)

> I am always intrigued by the many posts from people who are
> delighted to discover that they can make bread more quickly
> by proofing it "in the oven with the light on." Few seem to
> be posting with delight when they discover that they can let
> their bread rise more slowly in the basement producing far
> better tastes and textures...

I think you are absolutely right.

The last bread I baked was around 90% wholemeal, 5% torrefied
wheat, 5% malted wheat, and it was left for 1st rise overnight in
an unelectrified fridge outdoors (something I am using as
a makeshift cold room).

Best wholemeal bread I've made.

cheers