Default double rising (or not) bread

I'm not sure why I'm double rising my bread before baking.
I probably followed somebody's instruction somewhere.

I've seen bread produced in a large scale bakery, with a
single rise : the bread is mixed, kneaded mechanically,
and then fed through a machine which puts the bread into
various sizes (eg. bap, sandwich etc). After the bread
comes off the production line, it is put on trays in a
rack system, which is then wheeled into a very humid closed
area for proofing. As far as I can tell, it's a single rise.

So, can some one offer some commentary on the reasons for
single or double rising ?

Single rise == swifter production time, therefore less cost?
Longer rise ... better quality ? If so, why ?

Perplexed.

Thanks