Art Stratemeyer

Hi,

While I will be the first to say that wine is truly made to accompany
food as opposed to standing on it's own singular merits.

However ... yep .. there is always a "but" ....

I think , comparative tastings ... albeit formal ones or ones held at
a wine store are truly valuable to all ... beginner and so-called
"expert" alike.

I will take your example of Barolo ..... however this could equally
apply to a cab, chard ...etc.

One of the distinct benefits of tastings without food is to be able to
judge ( in you opinion and on your pallate .. not according to
"experts" ) how each wine compares in its quality and in representing
the varietal that it is made from.

Food, inevitably masks the ability to make the comparison.

When comparing the 10 barolos ... what is the balance of each, the
acidity, the way the tannins "feel" in your mouth, the length,
complexity and so on.

You might find Vintner A's to be really thin .. Vintner B's to be way
too tannic and so one.

If a wine is "out of balance" ( again to your taste ) with out food
.... it will not come "in balance" with food.

As you drink more .. and have more with your meals, you will come to
know the characteristics of a given Barolo that makes it enjoyable to
you. Once you have a grasp of these, then at such comparative
tastings you will be able to, if nothing else, quickly weed out those
that you know you won't like.

Don't worry if ... at such tastings you hear people give descriptions
of the wine that is in exact opposite to what you are sensing. This
happens to me all the time and is the source for lots of great
arguments ( or "discussions ).

Finally there is the economic benefit. Let's say you want to try a
new Barolo that you've not had and you already know some of the
characteristic of one's you've tired and don't like. Then the
comparative tasting at least gives you much better odds of bringing
home a wine you will enjoy instead of spending your money and "hoping"

Art Stratemeyer
http://www.stratsplace.com
A Community Celebration the Joy of Wine,Gardening and the Arts

Cellar! Wine Software
http://www.cellarwinesoftware.com