Tom S

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> I'll usually have to put away half to 3/4 bottles into
> the fridge. Even 24 hours later the taste seems to change.
>
> So, what are some good, inexpensive suggestions for keeping an opened
> bottle 2 to 3, maybe 4 days?
>
> I saw the recommendation of using half-bottles. Not bad, I'll try that,
> but doesn't seem very consistent.

Immediately decanting _gently_ (no splashing) into a smaller bottle until
it's _completely_ full and capping tight is really the best for storing
opened wine. It'll keep for months or longer that way.

> I also saw something on Private Preserve inert gas replacement. That
> sounds like a good idea. A little expensive, for now, but if it's the
> best option then I think that's worth it.

Too expensive. The only advantage it has over decanting to smaller bottles
is that it isn't necessary to fill the bottle to exclude all gas.

> What about those $12 cheapy vacuum pump tops? Good enough to keep for a
> couple of days?

A couple of days? Sure. Best in the 'fridge.

> And finally, refrigeration. Good idea? Bad idea? Only in conjunction
> with a particular tupe of storage? I understand refidgeration can slow
> the oxidation, but, does it contribute to any other changes?

Good idea as an adjunct to any of the above methods - especially Vac-U-Vin,
which does leave some air behind in the bottle. The only drawbacks are (1)
having to warm the wine to room temperature in the case of a red, and (2)
precipitation of tartrate crystals in wines that are not cold stabilized.
The latter isn't really a big deal, since the wine is easily decanted from
the crystals, and the flavor isn't affected.

Tom S