Hunt

In article <8CzMd.47478$EG1.14534@attbi_s53>, says...

>Ed Rasimus wrote:
>>
>> I'm not sure that trying some Cabernet Sauvignon is going "all
>> out"--you can get cabs ranging from "two buck Chuck" to several
>>

>--snip--
>> Finally, don't limit yourself to Cab--get some Zinfandel (not White
>> Zin, but REAL zinfandel), some Syrah/Shiraz, some Sangiovese (think
>> Italian), some Pinot Noir, and then expand the list to other
>> varietals.
>>
>> Have fun and report back.
>>
>> P.S. Start raving about the wine when you taste and pretty soon the
>> wife will be helping you solve the left-over problem.
>>

>Thanks for the reply (everyone.)
>Yeah, the "going all out" comment was sort of tongue-in-cheek. At the
>time I thought it was a risky move, but I've since learned that Cabernet
>Sauvignon is pretty...opposite of risky, thanks to an article in Wine
>Enthusiast and Wine For Dummies. Over the last few months I've been
>trying all different grapes and regions. My favorites so far:
>Saisons de Vine "L'automne" 2002 by Copain Wines, Sutter Home Pinot
>Grigiot 2003, and Luis Felipe Edwards Sauvignon Blanc 2003.
>(I've started keeping a journal.)
>
>My wife never liked wine before I started finding out the proper
>temperatures and glasses. I had no idea the glass could make such a huge
>difference! I thought, yeah whatever, it all goes in the mouth. How's
>the glass make a difference.
>So we had our own taste test with a plastic tumbler, a drinking glass, a
>champaign flute (wedding gift) and a generic Bourdeux glass. Wow! The
>differences were amazing, and it's not psychosomatic because I was a
>complete disbeliever in the possibility.
>
>Soon after we went and bought a few Riedels and Spieglaus. =) I can
>even, half the time depending on the wine, tell a difference between the
>Riedel and Spieglau (sp) despite using similar shape and volume. One day
>my goal is to have at least one individual glass for every wine type.
>(The Riedel catalog is a very dangerous thing. *grin*)
>
>Thanks again, all, for the comments!
>Liam

To address your comments Riedel and the shapes - I think I am in the
minority in this NG regarding the positive aspects of the various shapes/
sizes, but I have become sold on a few of them. Like you, I initially was
skeptical regarding the "need" for having so many different glasses. I started
with a set of 12ea basic red & white glasses from a mid-range house, when we
were married. About the time that I got hooked on wine, I did a similar
experiment to yours with the white glass and the red glass, using a US CA
Chard. Wow, the wine really opened up in the "red" glass, but was quite closed
in the glass sold for the "whites." No contest! I've long since replaced all
of the white wine glasses, but still use the old red glasses for everyday
whites around the house. I invested in several complete sets (nowadays in lots
of either 24, or 48, depending on style), mostly Riedel, with some Waterford
from their "Tasting Series." I was happy with all of my glasses, and thought
that the Riedel hype was just that - hype, until I attended a Riedel tasting a
few years back. They had just introduced their "Montrachet" white wine glass,
that looked rather like a red Burg glass, but more open at the mouth. I tasted
a big US/CA Chard in it, then in the Riedel Chardonnay glass. Again with the
WOW. I was immediately sold on that glass, as we do a lot of big whites from
FR, US, OZ, and IT. When using these, some of my friends ask why I am using a
red wine glass for a white, knowing that I am a glassware freak. I usually
just give them a pour of the Corton, or whatever in each the Montrachet glass,
and the Riedel Chard glass. I have yet to have a guest who could not tell the
difference. Now, most did not rush out and buy a set, as I did, but no one has
ever argued the point, just maybe the worth. Now, I have yet to do a full
comparison of ALL of the glasses with each glasses' specific wine, but this
one incident did make an even more firm believer out of me. The full catalog
is probably major overkill, but there is so much to be said for "proper"
glassware. Unfortunately, I always handwash the glasses the next day after a
party, so that limits my dinners, etc. to Friday or Saturday, as a full dinner
can require 2-3 hours of glass washing/drying/storing - bummer!!!!

Hunt