Hunt

In article .com>,
says...

>Yeah, I've looked around on the newsgroup before asking, but it seems
>most threads on this topic are regarding long-term storage. Or
>regarding very expensive equipment ($50 for a nitrogen system is
>expensive to me. Now. So far. Until I get more experienced and
>knowledgeable and build a valueable (in effort and appreciation, not
>nec' price) collection.)
>
>I only just started getting into wine appreciation. Before last year my
>experience has been pretty much any inexpensive white zinf'. Then I
>went crazy and went all out and tried cabernet sauvingon. =) (Only to
>recently find out it's kind of become the generic "safe" grape.) So,
>now that I'm starting to really TASTE wine, and analyze, and pick and
>choose, and build a volcabulary and experience, I'd like to also take
>care in preserving wine. After all, I'm the only person in the
>household who drinks wine (well, my wife will have a glass now and
>then,) and so I'll usually have to put away half to 3/4 bottles into
>the fridge. Even 24 hours later the taste seems to change.
>
>So, what are some good, inexpensive suggestions for keeping an opened
>bottle 2 to 3, maybe 4 days?
>
>I saw the recommendation of using half-bottles. Not bad, I'll try that,
>but doesn't seem very consistant.
>I also saw something on Private Preserve inert gas replacement. That
>sounds like a good idea. A little expensive, for now, but if it's the
>best option then I think that's worth it.
>What about those $12 cheapy vacuum pump tops? Good enough to keep for a
>couple of days?
>And finally, refridgeration. Good idea? Bad idea? Only in conjunction
>with a particular tupe of storage? I understand refidgeration can slow
>the oxidation, but, does it contribute to any other changes?
>
>Thanks for any suggestions!
>Liam

Personal preference: the vaccuvin-type vacuum closures PLUS refrigeration is
about as good as it gets for short-term wine saving. With whites, allow the
bottle to warm a bit, when you take it out of the fridge - with reds allow it
warm even more. The wine will change slightly, but I often have a bottle
stored thusly for up to five days. The changes are slight and only careful
comparison plus a good taste-memory will allow you to tell MUCH difference.

Hunt