LRW

Ed Rasimus wrote:

> I'm not sure that trying some Cabernet Sauvignon is going "all
> out"--you can get cabs ranging from "two buck Chuck" to several

--snip--
> Finally, don't limit yourself to Cab--get some Zinfandel (not White
> Zin, but REAL zinfandel), some Syrah/Shiraz, some Sangiovese (think
> Italian), some Pinot Noir, and then expand the list to other
> varietals.
>
> Have fun and report back.
>
> P.S. Start raving about the wine when you taste and pretty soon the
> wife will be helping you solve the left-over problem.

Thanks for the reply (everyone.)
Yeah, the "going all out" comment was sort of tongue-in-cheek. At the
time I thought it was a risky move, but I've since learned that Cabernet
Sauvignon is pretty...opposite of risky, thanks to an article in Wine
Enthusiast and Wine For Dummies. Over the last few months I've been
trying all different grapes and regions. My favorites so far:
Saisons de Vine "L'automne" 2002 by Copain Wines, Sutter Home Pinot
Grigiot 2003, and Luis Felipe Edwards Sauvignon Blanc 2003.
(I've started keeping a journal.)

My wife never liked wine before I started finding out the proper
temperatures and glasses. I had no idea the glass could make such a huge
difference! I thought, yeah whatever, it all goes in the mouth. How's
the glass make a difference.
So we had our own taste test with a plastic tumbler, a drinking glass, a
champaign flute (wedding gift) and a generic Bourdeux glass. Wow! The
differences were amazing, and it's not psychosomatic because I was a
complete disbeliever in the possibility.

Soon after we went and bought a few Riedels and Spieglaus. =) I can
even, half the time depending on the wine, tell a difference between the
Riedel and Spieglau (sp) despite using similar shape and volume. One day
my goal is to have at least one individual glass for every wine type.
(The Riedel catalog is a very dangerous thing. *grin*)

Thanks again, all, for the comments!
Liam