A.C.

aem wrote:

> Well, the bean folks at the site Sheldon posted disagree. They say
> salting can make the skins impermeable, which retards the tenderizing
> process. Perhaps if you salt them you have to cook them longer than if
> you don't. Myself, I nearly always put a smoked ham hock in my pinto
> beans, which is pretty salty already so I only add additional salt to
> taste at the end. Sometimes they're ready in 90 minutes, sometimes in
> 150.
>
> -aem

it's ok with me. do what you want. i've found sheldon to be an utter
****wit so i tend to ignore anything he says. my experience has told me
otherwise. i say experiment and find out for yourself. it's never caused me
any problem, but then again i don't claim to be and expert. in the end it's
what works for you.