A.C.

M Jones wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Perhaps somebody here can help a bachelor. I have kidney beans and butter
> beans. It says on the pack I must soak the beans for a minimum of 8 hours
> preferably in the refrigerator. I have done this and the skins fell off

the
> beans.
>
> Is soaking absolutely necessary for me to cook these types of pulses?

What
> does soaking actually do? Can I get away without doing it?

if the skins are falling off the beans you may be agitating them too much
during the cooking process or boiling them agressively. get the beans up to
a good simmer. (small bubbles, not boiling) and cook them that way. don't
stir too much and cook until tender. if you're already doing that... then
just ignore me :-)