Doug Kanter

"M Jones" > wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> Perhaps somebody here can help a bachelor. I have kidney beans and butter
> beans. It says on the pack I must soak the beans for a minimum of 8 hours
> preferably in the refrigerator. I have done this and the skins fell off
> the beans.
>
> Is soaking absolutely necessary for me to cook these types of pulses?
> What does soaking actually do? Can I get away without doing it?
>
> Thanks.

Depends on how you're going to use them. If you're making soup, unsoaked
beans will soften eventually. It'll just take longer, which isn't always a
problem. On the other hand, if you're chili and the recipe is a less watery
one than some, cooking with thick sauce, in other words, you may run into
trouble.

For the soup, by the way, if it's supposed to cook (according to the recipe)
for say, 2 hours, but you find the beans need much more time, you may want
to hold some of the other vegetables till later in the process so they don't
overcook. If you want celery or carrots with some "bite", instead of with
the consistency of baby food....you get the idea.