JamesG

I usually cook pinto or black beans and use a quick soak method. I
haven't cooked kidney beans in a while and don't think that I have ever
cooked butter beans, but I would guess that you could probably use a
quick soak method on these beans also. The quick soak method is that
you cover the beans with several inches of water and then bring them to
a boil for a couple minutes. You then let them soak for an hour. At
the end of the hour you replace the water and cook as normal.
I think that soaking helps keep the beans from giving people as much
gas by breaking down some of the sugars in the beans. I would guess
that you could try to cook some without soaking them first, I wouldn't
try eating them before going on a date though.