jmcquown

Default Cooking prime rib, with turning oven off to cook

Over40pirate wrote:
> I am looking for a recipe for cooking prime rib, by pre heating the
> oven to something like 500 deg, then putting the prime rib in, and
> turning the oven off, for a set length of time. I saw the recipe for
> this, but can't remember the times, and temp. Any help here?
> Thanks to all and have a happy new year, Kathy

That's the way I usually prepare my (bone in) prime rib. Preheat oven to
500F. Stud the roast with garlic, sprinkle well with black pepper and a
little salt. I also pat on a small amount of thyme on it. Pop it in a
roasting pan and into the oven. Turn down the heat to 375F and roast for
one hour. Turn the oven off and don't open the door. Let it sit in the hot
oven for 2 hours. Turn it back on at 375F and roast about 40 minutes.
Remove from oven and let stand 10 minutes before slicing. The roast comes
out graduated from nearly well done on the ends to medium-rare in the
middle.

Jill