Rusty

Default Cooking prime rib, with turning oven off to cook

Seattlejo wrote:
> Over40pirate wrote:
>
>> I am looking for a recipe for cooking prime rib, by pre heating the
>> oven to
>> something like 500 deg, then putting the prime rib in, and turning the
>> oven
>> off, for a set length of time. I saw the recipe for this, but can't
>> remember
>> the times, and temp. Any help here?
>> Thanks to all and have a happy new year, Kathy

> Google is your friend . I ran across this recipe many times when
> planning my beef roast for Christmas. Still not sure how i feel about
> leaving the oven off for so long, and leaving the roast out at room
> temperature for an hour.
> -Seattlejo
>
> http://www.finedinings.com/prime_rib_of_beef.htm
>
> Prime Rib Roast, at room temperature (very important)
> Dijon mustard
> Fresh thyme
> Fresh garlic cloves, minced
> Kosher salt
> Freshly cracked black pepper
> Au Jus (**recipe below)
> Horseradish sauce
>
> The rib roast, bone side down, starting at the tail or narrow end, make
> a flap by cutting the fat strip on top of the meat, going toward the
> thicker part, as far as you can without severing it. Lay the fat strip
> back, and set aside.
>
> Mix Dijon, thyme, garlic, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Spread this
> mixture on the meat underneath the flap which you just made. Replace the
> flap and use kitchen string to loosely wrap the meat to keep the flap in
> place as it roasts, otherwise the flap will curl up. Place roast in oven
> in a shallow roasting pan.
>
> Make sure your roast is at room temperature before you place it in the
> oven, otherwise you will have an uncooked roast at the end of the
> cooking cycle.
>
> Set the oven temperature at 500° degrees F.
> Multiply the roast poundage on the package times 5 minutes to determine
> the amount of time the meat will roast at 500° degrees F. Be as
> accurate as possible! example: if your roast weighs 5.53 pounds, then
> multiply 5.53 (pounds) times 5 (minutes) which equals = 27.65. This
> means you will roast your meat for (27.65) or 28 minutes. At the end of
> the 28 minutes, turn the oven temperature off. Leave the roast in the
> oven for at least 2 hours.
>
> During this 2 hour time, do not open the oven door as the meat is still
> cooking.
>
> This method will produce a perfect prime rib, guaranteed, every time, if
> you follow the instructions carefully.
>
> Prepare au jus, recipe follows. Place a thick slice of prime rib on each
> plate. Use two small containers, one for horse radish sauce and the
> other for au jus for dipping and serve.

My sister swore by a recipe similar to this. I couldn't get the nerve
to try it. I think it was popular in the 60's or 70's, which lets you
know my age. It must have the bones to absorb the heat and then "roast"
the meat or something like that. Rusty