Hahabogus

Wayne Boatwright > wrote in
:

> That sounds good. The only peanut soup I've ever had was made from a
> supposed Williamsburg recipe. Liked it, but no curry.
>
> Wayne

A couple or 3 peanut soups
curried soup is at the bottom.

African Peanut Soup

2 teaspoons peanut oil
1 cup onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1/2 cup mushrooms, chopped
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon ginger (or 1/2 teaspoon grated fresh ginger)
2 cups broth, chicken or vegetable
1 can crushed tomatoes (14.5 ounces)
1/2 cup sweet potato, cooked and mashed
1/4 cup peanut butter
sliced scallions for garnish

In a medium sauce pan, heat peanut oil over medium-low heat. Add onion,
garlic and mushrooms and saute slowly until vegetables are soft and
golden
colored. Add red pepper flakes, paprika and ginger and saute for another
minute. Add broth and tomatoes. Simmer for 15 minutes. Remove from heat
and
allow to cool. Puree vegetables and broth in a blender. Add sweet
potatoes
and peanut butter. Blend until smooth. Reheat carefully over low heat,
adding more broth or water as needed. Garnish each serving with sliced
scallions (green onions). Serves 4.

(Notes: A good use for leftover sweet potatoes. Canned puree of pumpkin
or
yams can be substituted. Increase the heat by adding more red pepper or
red
pepper sauce.)

154 Calories; 11g Fat (58% calories from fat); 5g Protein; 12g
Carbohydrate;
0mg Cholesterol; 82mg Sodium
Food Exchanges: 1/2 Starch/Bread; 1/2 Lean Meat; 1 Vegetable; 2 Fat

Niki

Jalapeno Peanut Soup

3 cups vegetable, chicken or beef stock
1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
1 large leek including 2 inches of the green top, coarsely chopped
2 medium carrots, sliced into 1/2 inch thick rounds
1/4 cup uncooked long-grain white rice
6 large. Jalapeno chili peppers, stems removed and finely chopped
1/2 cup smooth peanut butter

Combine the stock, onion, leek and carrots in a heavy saucepan and bring
to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, partially
covered, for 30 minutes. Puree the soup in a food processor. Blend at
high speed until the soup is smooth. Return the soup to the saucepan and
bring to a boil over high heat. Stir in the rice and 6 Jalapeno chili
peppers, reduce the heat to low, and cover tightly. Simmer for about 20
minutes, or until the rice is tender but grains still intact. In a small
bowl, mix 1/2 cups of the soup with the peanut butter and stir until they
are well combined. Stir the peanut butter mixture into the soup, cover
again, and simmer for 5 minutes longer. Taste for seasoning and serve at
once.

--
A1 Hot Food Group
William Barfieldsr

Curried Peanut Soup

1 tablespoon peanut oil
1 medium onion, halved, sliced
3 garlic cloves, minced
3 tablespoons curry powder
4 cups (or more) chicken broth
1/3 cup rice
3 medium carrots, peeled, sliced
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter (not old-fashioned style or freshly
ground)
1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Finely chopped green onions for accompaniment
Chopped fresh cilantro for accompaniment

1. Heat oil in large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion,
garlic and curry powder; sauté until onion has softened, about 6 minutes.
Add broth and bring to boil. Stir in rice and carrots. Reduce heat and
simmer until rice is very tender, stirring occasionally, about 20
minutes.
2. Puree half of soup in blender or processor with peanut butter.
(Caution! Hot liquids create steam which will blow the top off the
blender! Be sure to securely hold blender lid down!) Return puree to
saucepan. Stir soup until heated through, thinning with more broth if
desired; do not boil. Stir in sugar, salt and pepper.
3. Ladle soup into bowls. Sprinkle with green onions and cilantro.

Serves 4.

Type 2 Diabetic 1AC 5.6mmol or 101mg/dl
Continuing to be Manitoban