Musashi

"Questions" > wrote in message =
> I love smoked eel in any form. Does anyone here know of somewhere to
> order canned smoked eel? I have surfed until my fingers are falling
> off. I can't seem to find a place to order it from. I live in St.
> Augustine, Florida. I can't find it locally either.
>=20
> If I were to ask for a retailers name at a sushi restaurant, would
> that be proper? I don't want to be rude in any way.
>=20
> Thank you in advance for any help you might provide.

The eel (unagi) that you see in Japanese cuisine is grilled, not smoked.
(Smoked eel is a European delicacy.)
Called Unagi no Kabayaki the main thing is the sauce which is made from =
repeatedly
dipping the eel while grilling. In the Kanto (tokyo/east) area it is =
customary to
steam the eel first to make it fluffy then grill it, whereas in the =
Kansai (Osaska-Kyoto/west)
area they do not steam it first.
Years ago about the only Unagi you could find was canned Eel kabayaki, =
in those square
cans (which might have has self openers like sardine cans).
For the last 15 years or so however, frozen grilled eel is the standard. =
As Dan correctly
mentioned, the Japanese eel is usually more tender, flavorful and =
expensive. The ones imported
from China can sometimes be a little tough but less expensive. But even =
among the chinese
imports quality can vary from poor to excellent.
Nearly all eel regardless of being of Japanese or Chinese origin is =
farmed. While "wild" eel is
available in Japan in certain areas it is not common in stores.
Frozen Unagi is common in all Japanese food stores in the US and is also =
found in many
well stocked Korean stores.