Wayne Boatwright

On Sun 30 Jan 2005 03:28:04p, Vox Humana wrote in rec.food.equipment:

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
>> I posted the following on alt.bread.recipes thinking that bakers would
>> have a perspective on this, but have had no response.
>>
>> I know what a convection oven is. I have two "true convection" ovens,
>> one in my range and an excellent countertop model.
>>
>> I read periodically about "fan-ovens" and "fan-assist" ovens, but I've
>> never seen one for sale in the US.
>>
>> Are these all the same thing, but different names?
>>
>> On my range oven I can choose whether to use convection or not. In a
>> long- ago thread, I remember someone with a fan-oven commenting that
>> they couldn't turn the fan off.
>>

> My oven is a convection model, but it just has a fan behind the rear
> wall and circulates the air that is heated by the elements at the top
> and bottom of the oven. I think that is a fan oven. As you know, true
> convection ovens have an element associated with the fan and may or may
> not use the other elements in the oven.

Thanks, Vox. Both my ovens have a separate dedicated heating element
associated with the fan. I've never actually seen one where the fan only
circulates heat generated by the bottom and/or top elements. Whenever I
see "fan oven" or "fan-assist oven" it's usually associated with cooking
units in the UK, Europe, or Asian markets. It sounds as though most of
their ovens are of that type, even moreso than ovens with no fan at all.

Wayne