michael

On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 14:01:03 +0200, Alexander Ausserstorfer wrote:

> That time I worked as baker in Canada an another employer in the bakery
> made a cake called "Alaska bomb". I can't remember what it was exactly,
> but in the middle of was icecream. Does anybody have a recipe?
>
> Ciao,
>
> Alexander Ausserstorfer

I'll tell you how I do it.

A bomb is ice cream or sherbert layer pressed in a mold, frozen hard then
filled with a 'bomb mixture' or a frozen mousse with a cake layer
underneath to keep the whole thing from sliding off the plate!.

Alaska'd is just covering this with marague and baking
(actually broiling) or torching it for a short while to carmatlize and
heat the marague a little.

A Basic Bombe Filling:

8 oz Sugar
dissolved in
2 oz water
Boil til 240F/119C

Whip up 6 egg yolks til light and foamy

Slowly pour sugar water into yolks
whip til cool, think and foamy

Add favoring, fold into 12 oz whipped heavy cream
Pour into mold, freeze.

The great thing about bombes is that there are infinite combinations of filling
and ice cream/sherbert flavorings plus toppings such as maragues, ganache or
fruits PLUS the cake layer.. all can be varied.