Sam D.

"Scott" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> Siobhan Perricone > wrote:
>
> > Mayo is one of those things that is hard to make, not simple (even

with
> > Alton's help in explaining the details on it . It breaks easily,

and is
> > nowhere near as stable or long-lasting as the stuff you get at the

store.
> > So you can't whip up a large batch of it with confidence and let

it sit
> > around in you fridge for when you need it. You have to make it

every time
> > you need it. That's prohibitive to most people who have a lot to

do in
> > their busy lives.

> Come again? I've made it a bunch of times and always found it easy

> do. I've never had it break down, despite using a single batch for

about
> two weeks (starting with pasteurized eggs). I end up tossing it--not
> because it breaks down or goes bad, but because I don't use mayo all
> that often and I'm just being careful.

I agree that mayo is easy and economical to make but also homemade
mayo has no where near the shelf life in the fridge as does the
commercial product. I'll make if I'm going to be using a quantity of
it right away but usually I depend on the BF or Kraft product.