Vox Humana

"Siobhan Perricone" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 21:52:47 +1300, Daisy > wrote:
>
> >Just make your own. The manufacturers put all sorts of awful things
> >in these products.

> Mayo is one of those things that is hard to make, not simple (even with
> Alton's help in explaining the details on it . It breaks easily, and is
> nowhere near as stable or long-lasting as the stuff you get at the store.
> So you can't whip up a large batch of it with confidence and let it sit
> around in you fridge for when you need it. You have to make it every time
> you need it. That's prohibitive to most people who have a lot to do in
> their busy lives.

My experience differs. I find mayo very easy to make and very quick. I
just take a couple eggs from the frig and put them in the food processor. I
add a splash of vinegar, some salt and pepper, and maybe a little Dijon
mustard. I turn the machine on and start adding the oil. Within a minute,
I have an emulsion and another minute I have about a cup of mayo that is far
better than anything I have ever bought in the supermarket. The total cost
is about 15 cents. I have never had it break. I agree that it probably
shouldn't be kept for more that two weeks. I guess the decision rests on
how much and how often you use mayo. Of course, if you don't have a food
process or blender, then making it would be difficult.