ScratchMonkey

"Sam D." > wrote in news:10vgjofn1gu97c2
@corp.supernews.com:

> I wasn't aware of the change. I just finished off a qt. jar of BF mayo
> but I didn't notice a difference. When did this take place?

http://groups-
beta.google.com/group/rec.food.cooking/browse_frm/thread/4dc4f0ec8903dd4b/3
19050e3cc1c8d78?q=hellmans+best+foods&_done=%2Fgro ups%3Fq%
3Dhellmans+best+foods%26&_doneTitle=Back+to+Search &&d#319050e3cc1c8d78

I first noticed it in 2002 but apparently it started a couple years before
that.

> I alternate between BF and Kraft mayo, depending on which is the
> better deal at the time. I have found either brand to be OK with me.

The original Best Foods, before the Unilever acquisition, had vinegar high
on the ingredients list. Kraft was quite bland in comparison because it had
less acidity. My theory is that, with no one more acidic than BF, Unilever
could move towards a less acidic formulation and hope to capture some of
Kraft's market. Who would the BF junkies switch to?

The Mexican "Limon" variant of BF (with the orange lid) is much closer to
the original formula. I've also found it effective to stir in a little
white vinegar.