Rick & Cyndi

Default We made it// Soup Recipes

<snip>
: >
: > Our Soups included:
: >
: > Roasted Garlic Soup with Parmesan
: > Artichoke Bisque
: > Butternut-Whisky Soup
: > Vegetable Beef
: > Reuben Soup
: > Potato-Sausage soup

<snip>
:
: Got any recipes for the soups?
: --
: Kate
-----------

Hi Kate!! Yes, I have recipes for most of them. Mom made the
Vege-Beef and the Potato-Sausage... so we'll have to wait a while
for those. <G> Here are the recipes for the others:

ARTICHOKE BISQUE

8 T Flour
1 # Butter
6 c Beef Stock
2 Ribs Celery - finely chopped
3 lg Onions - finely chopped
1 bunch Green Onions - finely chopped
2 Bay Leaves
1/4 t Thyme
2 Clove Garlic - minced
28 oz canned Artichoke Hearts (UNDRAINED)
Salt and black pepper
1/4 t Tabasco
1 c White Wine - dry
4 oz Light Cream
2 T Parsley - minced
Lemon Wedges
Parmesan Cheese

Melt the butter in a heavy pot and add the flour. Over
a low heat cook for 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
Slowly add the stock and when well mixed, add the
celery, onions, greeen onions, bay leaves, thyme and
garlic. Let this simmer for 45 minutes.

Chop the artichoke hearts fairly fine and then add to
the pot along with the artichoke water. Cook at a low
simmer for another 30 minutes. Add salt and pepper to
taste, the Tabasco, wine and cream and bring to a
simmer. Do NOT boil. The bisque is now ready to serve.

Sprinkle a bit of parsley over the bisque in each
plate. With a slice of French bread, it's a Creole
treat for your bon appetit.

NOTE: We like to squeeze a lemon wedge into individual bowls,
ladle in the soup and then sprinkle Parmesan cheese on top!

Recipe from Leon E. Soniat in his "Creole Kitchen"
column in the Times-Picayune.

Reuben Soup

1 gallon chicken broth
4 small bay leaves
15 oz can sauerkraut, undrained
2 cup whole milk (or part evaporated & part 2 % or skim)
1 cup butter
1 cup flour
1/2 pound chopped corned beef
1 1/2 tsp. Morton brand Nature's Seasoning
1/2 tsp. Tony Chachere's Original Seasoning
1 tsp. white pepper
1 cup sour cream
1 1/2 cup Grated Swiss Cheese
Toasted pumpernickel or rye bread - cubed and toasted to use as
garnish - optional

Heat broth to simmer and then add bay leaf and the sauerkraut.
Cook 30 minutes. Remove sauerkraut and set aside. Return liquid
to boil and then add milk. In a small saucepan, melt butter; add
flour and cook about 2 minutes--whisking frequently to create a
roux. Gradually roux to pot to thicken soup. stir with wooden
spoon. Soup should be thick and creamy. Return reserved
sauerkraut to pot. Add corned beef and seasonings. Stir in sour
cream and cheese. Remove bay leaves. Makes 10 servings.

Based upon: a recipe From the Market Place Cafe in Milwaukee,
Wisconsin Milwaukee Journal Sentinel

NOTE From Cyndi: The Tony Chachere's Seasoning and the Morton's
Natures Seasonings are very necessary for the flavor... if you
don't have any - call me and I'll bring you some... it's that
important! LOL

Whisky Squash Soup // Posted BY: hahabogus with additional notes
by Cyndi when she doubled the recipe

1 tablespoon butter (2)
1 tablespoon olive oil (2)
1 large onion, chopped (2)
3 pounds squash (acorn, buttercup, butternut, etc. *Cyndi used 6
# of Butternut! Yummmmmm)
6 cups chicken stock (12)
1/4 cup rye whiskey (Cyndi used Maker's Mark Whisky - it's made
in Kentucky, USA)
1 bay leaf and 2 sprgs thyme, tied together with string(Cyndi
used 2 bay leaves and 1 1/2 tsp dried thyme when doubling the
recipe)
1 tablespoon maple syrup (2)
salt and white pepper to taste
1/4 cup sour cream or whipping cream (Cyndi used 1/2 c whipping
cream *and* 1/2 cup sour cream - because I doubled the recipe)

Cut the squash in half and use a spoon to scoop out the seeds.
Peel the squash and cut the flesh into cubes.
In a soup pot, melt the butter with the olive oil over medium-low
heat and cook the onion, covered, until tender. Stir in the
squash, stock, whisky, herb bundle, and syrup and bring to a boil
over high heat.

Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, until squash is
softened, about 30 minutes. Remove the herb bundle and discard.
Using a food process or a hand-held immersion blender, puree the
soup until smooth.

Return the soup to a simmer over medium heat and cook for 10
minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Whisk in the sour
cream or whipping cream, or drizzle a tablespoon or so over each
bowl. Serves 4-6.

ROASTED GARLIC SOUP WITH PARMESAN CHEESE

26 garlic cloves (unpeeled)
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) butter
2 1/4 cups sliced onions
1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
18 garlic cloves, peeled
3 1/2 cups chicken stock
1/2 cup whipping cream
1/2 c finely grated Parmesan cheese (2 oz)
4 lemon wedges

Preheat oven to 350°F. Place 26 garlic cloves in small glass
baking dish. Add 2 TBSP olive oil and sprinkle with salt and
pepper; toss to coat. Cover baking dish tightly with foil and
bake until garlic is golden brown and tender, about 45 minutes.
Cool. Squeeze garlic between fingertips to release cloves.
Transfer cloves to small bowl.

Melt butter in heavy large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add
onions and thyme and cook until onions are translucent, about 6
minutes. Add roasted garlic and 18 raw garlic cloves and cook 3
minutes. Add chicken stock; cover and simmer until garlic is very
tender, about 20 minutes. Working in batches, purée soup in
blender until smooth. Return soup to saucepan; add cream and
bring to simmer. Season with salt and pepper. (Can be prepared 1
day ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Rewarm over medium heat,
stirring occasionally.)

Divide grated cheese among 4 bowls and ladle soup over. Squeeze
juice of 1 lemon wedge into each bowl and serve.