occupant

Default Surprise---US Mad Cow was imported from Cananda

Arri London wrote:

> wrote:
> >
> > Arri London > wrote:
> >
> > > Up to a point you do have a say. Don't buy beef or other products you
> > > might feel to be unsafe.

> > But how does one know what an unsafe beef product looks like?
> > Usually, unsafe food is indistringuishable from safe food unless
> > its moldy or smells bad.

> I gave up beef in 1986, as soon as the rumours of BSE began in the UK
> and before anyone acknowledged there was a problem. Wasn't a big thing,
> as we hadn't eaten much to begin with.
>
> If it worries you, why take a risk and eat any beef at all? Plenty of
> other things to eat.
>

> > > Also the Canadian thing isn't proven, as Canadian records aren't
> > > matching up to US records yet.

> > Time will tell. Perhaps the Canadian and American authorities should
> > request an evaluation from an outside unbiased party such as the Brits.

> Even if the cow were to be proven definitively from Canada, it doesn't
> mean that it was infected there. American farmers were still feeding
> animal products to cattle within the incubation period of the disease.
> Probably still are sometimes, even though it is banned.

Exactly my point. When BSE broke out in the UK, I wrote the Canadian
department of
Agriculture and the Alberta Cattleman's association asking if any part
of beef is feed back
to the beef and does beef feed contain any parts of any animal? I got
no answer. It has been
said if you type a few words into google you can find almost any
answer. I tried for many hours to
try and determinal what is in beef feed and/or what is fed to beef. I
went to government agricultural sites
and every other lead. All I was able to determine is that feeding beef
blood to beef, pigs, lamb and fowl is
permitted up to 30 percent and not considered animal parts as we know
it. I also learned that ground meat can contain eyeball which I didn't
know up to that point. But what is in beef, pig, fowl or lamb feed is
still a mystery. The governments and spokes people will say it is safe
but nobody says what the cattle feed contains.
Maybe someday we will learn that. Until then I no longer eat beef.
Not that all beef is unsafe, but until I know or my neighbours all want
to know, I am waiting it out.