Janet Puistonen

"Debra Fritz" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 03:33:06 GMT, "Janet Puistonen"
> > wrote:
>

>>Debra, I make raspberry-ganache filled chocolates rather than raspberry
>>truffles for that very reason. The raspberry ganache is just too soft to
>>use
>>otherwise.

> The ganache was usable, but I had to freeze it, then get it dipped
> quickly.... It wasn't "runny", but close.
>
> Perhaps I need to think about filled chocolates. I've not done that
> before, but I wouldn't mind trying it.
>
> What shapes do you use? Any easy ones for a beginner or are they all
> the same level of difficulty?
>
> Debra

Before I started using molds, I chilled the raspberry ganache too. But when
dipped, the covering came out dull and streaky because of the difference in
temperature.

On molds, the thing is that the heavyweight, rigid professional molds are
much easier to use than the flimsy things you see around in craft shops and
on most web sites. But they usually cost about $20, in contrast to the $2 or
so for the flimsy ones. The only mold I own that I consistently have a
problem with is a tilted teepee. So I would say avoid relatively tall,
skinny shapes, because air tends to get trapped in them. (That shouldn't be
difficult, because the teepee is an unusual shape. <G>)Very shallow molds
are also harder to use with a filling, for obvious reasons. Other than
that--go to some web sites and see what appeals to you. I've bought online
from J.B.Prince, Chocolat-Chocolat, and Kerekes (their web site is something
like www.bakedeco.com).