Margaret Suran

The Eisbomben of my childhood were made with or without a covering of
cake, which would either be a white or a chocolate one. They would be
baked in two halves, each one shaped like half a round ball or half a
football. Once fully baked and cooled, the insides would be carefully
removed, so that only a thin shell remained. They were filled with
two or three different ice creams and sherbets and pushed together,
until they formed the bombe. The bombes could also be had without the
cake and either kind could be had with a chocolate covering.

Since the average Viennese home in the 1920's and 30's did not have a
refrigerator with freezer (we had ice boxes with large chunks of ice
to keep the food cool), all the ones I saw and ate, came from a fancy
Italian Ice Cream Store, where you could order this special delicacy
for special occasions.

Once we lived here with the luxury of a refrigerator with a freezer,
ice cream bombes could easily be made at home, especially since ice
cream was readily available all year long. Of course, we served them
with Schlag. )