Michael Odom

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 21:58:38 -0500, "Virginia Tadrzynski"
> wrote:

>"DJS0302" > wrote in message
>> Does anyone know the expression that means to describe something that

>looks
>> valuable at first glance but turns out to be worthless? I want to say "A

>pig
>> in a poke" but I'm not sure if that's it.

>Buying a Pig in a Poke is buying sight unseen and usually being taken in the
>process. In the South, a poke is a sack. Buying a pig in a sack, unable
>to see the final product, is not suggested. Therefore, if you just take
>someone's word for something without checking into it yourself, you are
>buying a pig in a poke.

Got that right. Was a time when unscrupulous types would put a cat in
said poke, call it a pig, and cheat some poor rube.

Then there were the times somebody let the cat out of the bag...

modom

"Dallas is a rich man with a death wish in his eyes."
-- Jimmie Dale Gilmore