Dee Randall

"Vox Humana" > wrote in message

> "Harri85274" > wrote in message
>> Anyone have such a recipe? Thanks

> I just put some peeled cloves of garlic in the water with the potatoes.
> When the potatoes are done the garlic is soft. I put the drained potatoes
> and garlic through a ricer or food mill, add warm cream and butter, season
> with some salt and pepper and serve.
>
> You can put the whole head of garlic on a square of foil, drizzle with
> some
> oil, and wrap tightly. Bake in a 350F oven for about 40 minutes or until
> it
> is soft. You can then just cut off the root end of the garlic and squeeze
> the roasted garlic into the potatoes before you mash, rice, or put them
> through the food mill. This is a more classic approach but requires
> advanced preparation. Boiling the garlic with the potatoes allows a more
> impromptu approach and is more energy efficient. Try it both ways and see
> what you think. Also, try using milk or half and half instead of heavy
> cream. I also like to substitute sour cream for the sweet cream. If you
> like olive oil use that instead of the butter. Sometimes I add cream
> cheese. You can add shredded cheese, herbs, or crumbled bacon. For
> special
> occasions you can go wild by adding cream cheese, chives, garlic, shred
> cheese, butter, and a garnish of bacon.

You can put the whole head of garlic on a square of foil, drizzle with some
oil, and wrap tightly. Bake in a 350F oven for about 40 minutes or until it
is soft. You can then just cut off the root end of the garlic and squeeze
the roasted garlic into the potatoes before you mash, rice, or put them
through the food mill.

Another way to do this is : Before you bake your garlic, cut the top part of
the garlic off, spread it apart a little bit, drizzle oil down into garlic
head, then when it is finished baking, you can just squeeze the little
garlic cloves out without shmashing up the whole head with a cut if your
knife is not of the sharpest. Or you can pick out with a little nut-picker
all the little cloves -- but if you start picking out the little cloves and
taking a bite, or are tempted to squeeze a few & slather it onto bread,
you'd better make sure that you have baked more than you intended. Yummy!