dan

thanks all for your replies. i've been experimenting with different
recipes at home, and it just seemed to me that the martinis i've seen out
at bars were huge.
it's nice to see robert uses bitters in his martini, according to my
rather amateur research, this is very old-school. i noticed, robert, that
you call for orange bitters, this reminded me of the other old-school
tradition of using bitter lillet as the "vermouth" (i say bitter lillet
because the amount of quinine was lowered considerably in the 80's to
reduce its bitterness).
anyway i recently discovered salvatore calabrese's book on cocktails, and
he recommends using a 4 oz. cocktail glass in general, and keeping the gin
in the freezer. the photo he shows of his martini does indeed leave some
room near the lip of the glass. so if it's good enough for him, it ought
to be good enough for me and my guests!

thanks again.